Thursday 20 February 2014

Patchwork in Progress

Remember the patchwork quilt I started way back when I was student, abandoned and then re-discovered a couple of years ago? It currently looks like this:


... and, well, it's looked like that since December 2012 actually as that's the last time I worked on it!

It was in the same "WIPs of shame" box as the stripey fabric panels I'm turning into bunting and when I saw it this week I thought "ooh, that would be another nice simple project to be working on in the evenings!" So as well as blanket stitching bunting triangles I'm also spending my evenings slowly stitching fabric squares together. They are the perfect simple projects for my sleepy brain. 

I've got some long strips of squares to join together - once they've been ironed

 

- which will be added to the top of the quilt. Then I need to sew some more squares together to fill in that missing space in the bottom corner where I removed some squares that really didn't match the overall scheme.

I still think this quilt is a bit ugly (teenage me's fabric choices = not really my taste any more) but I'm enjoying the relaxing, repetetive process of all the hand stitching, and really looking forward to getting it finished. I will get it finished. I will! Maybe :)

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Go go go! It will be fab once it's all finished and very satisfying to see it all done (and then you'll want to make another one!) :)

Unknown said...

Hello!
It is very difficult to write in English because I am brazilian. I study English for a couple of years.
Your work is marvelous, very interesting!
Big hug
Maricelia

CappelloABombetta said...

Simply amazing!
Serena

bairozan said...

Of course, you will finish it! I love quilts - they are not traditional for my country and this combination of colors and patterns that would otherwise look mismatched is fascinating to me!

Unknown said...

I love your "WIPs of shame"! I think I should start a box like that...the patchwork will be a bit of history for you once it's finished, a reflection of your teenage self (and then you can justify purchasing new fabrics for your next patchwork history piece!). Chrissie x

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the comments everyone - the encouragement is much appreciated!

Frambooske - working on this is definitely making me want to start another one with more my-current-taste fabrics :)

Maricelia - thank you!

Chrissie - thanks! I think all of us crafters have a box (or a cupboard, or a drawer) of old WIPs gathering dust somewhere, though maybe not for as long as this quilt has been in progress, haha :)

Unknown said...

I've been doing a lot of hand sewing of hexagons for a quilt, I love the relaxing repetition. I hadn't considered doing a patchwork quilt that way, but now I might have to!
You could always give this as a gift to someone who would like this style, and then make a new one for yourself!

Bugs and Fishes said...

I am so in awe of all your hexies, Rebecca! The method I'm using is a bit of a cheat but it's still taken me years to get round to finish so it's probably lucky it's not more time-consuming, haha :D

My mum says she likes the quilt so it'll be a gift for her when it's finished. I'm glad it'll have a loving home to go to!